featured-content

www.ShareImage.org

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Devin Townsend - Review - Deconstruction





Devin Townsend has stamped out a very good name for himself with his previous work in "Strapping young lad" and a string of solo albums that both prove he's a musical genius, and a lunatic as well. From his concept album "Ziltoid the Omniscient" Which is about an alien who comes to earth and demands the universe's best cup of coffee. Displeased with the cup he is presented he destroys the earth. And trust me it gets crazier from there. 


Now we have "Deconstruction" which is another conceptual piece about a man who travels to hell to learn the secrets of the universe from Lucifer, Well the prince of darkness in turn gives him a cheeseburger. But this presents a problem because the main character of the story is a vegetarian....... Yea I'm not joking. 


Devin Townsend is known for his Insanity when it comes to his music. And this album is no Exception, Deconstruction is filled with craziness but also musical perfection. This can be considered a "Progessive Metal" album but I rather call it a "Insane Badass Metal" Can that be a sub-genre now? I COINED THAT TERM! 


Alright, well the album starts off with "Praise the Lowered" Which is an epic track to begin this epic journey. Lyrics like. 


AH, GIMME THAT WINE!
GIMMEE THAT ACID!
AND I WANNA LOSE EVERYTHING THATS POLICING US, 

AND THEN EVERYTHING MUST BEGIN!
AND I WANNA DO HEROIN!
AND I WANNA DO CRACK COCAINE!
AND I WANNA LOSE EVERYTHING BUT RELEASE…WHY DON'T YOU JUST:

SMOKE THAT FUCKING WEED BOY, DRINK THE WINE…



Prove that he's just as crazy as ever. But the music on this song, from the long and ethereal even "sci-fi" intro. to the heavy and perceptive ending "Which features guest singer Paul Kuhr from Novembers Doom" It's a wonderful track and also a perfect way to set up this crazy album. 


Another stand out track on this album is "The Mighty Masturbator" clocking in at over 16 minutes it's truly an epic fucking song. Filled with his normal craziness and prayers to god, satan, and himself. lol this is just a track that grabs you and doesn't let go. But what have we learned from this song? Devin Townsend has his special saving the world boots on. ;) 


All in all this is a wonderful album as always. But did we expect anything less? I didn't. When I come to Hevy Devy I come expecting two things. Excellent musicianship and insanity, and this album delivers both in spades. 


While I don't feel this will be on my top albums of the year list, but I do know I will come back to this album in the future for many more listens. 


8.5/10


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More